"Shared Memory Support" Setting becomes unchecked after a few hours.

madpco

Hi , thanks for this amazing piece of software.

I'm using HWinfo64 V. 7.00-4400
Through Rainmeter 4.4.0.3433 64bit
Along with ModernGadgets 1.7.0

Every works fine and dandy but when the system if left alone for many hours: when I come back, the GPU meter displays the error message as if HWinfo is no longer sharing memory. When I go to HWInfo settings, I find the 'Shared Memory Support' check box is unchecked. When I re-check the box, everything goes back to normal. This happens every time I leave the system for a few hours.

The HWiNFO64.INI file still has the following line: SensorsSM=1

Anyone have a clue why this is happening?

HWinfo.JPG

There are dozens of threads about this on this forum. 1st read, then write

Sorry, I meant to say: Limitations should be clearly described and indicated inside the software, as this looks like a bug.

Anyway thanks for your response and sorry for wasting your time. I did look for the answer by searching the term 'Shared memory support setting' As trying to find something this specific in a forum is near impossible and was looking for a bug solution, not a feature limitation list.

There are dozens of threads about this on this forum. 1st read, then write

First and foremost, I'm happy to pay for good software and I will most likely pay for this because HWinfo has been awesome and I like supporting devs...

However, I love how you just assume that we all hang out on the forums. Never wanted to come here, never should've had to come here. And the "first read then write" remark is condescending and completely uncalled for especially when you consider the fact it's your fault we're even here looking for this info in the first place.

It's kinda bullshit that you push a major change like that without making the change apparent in the app itself. Yes, I'm aware of the tooltip, but as madpco pointed out I just thought it was a bug at first and I came on here looking to see if anyone else was getting it, once I realized what it was I went looking for the info in the app and found the tooltip.

If you're going to remove functionality and lock it behind a paywall you would do well to let the user know, big and bold when they're installing the new version.
and before I get the inevitable "just roll back if you don't like it" that's not the point. I had to come to a forum because I thought it was a bug. Free features are now paid features, I think that should be something no one can mistake as a bug, or you've failed.

speaking of not being upfront, looking at the license page nowhere does it say how long the license lasts. sure you have the clause about a maintenance period and the license being limited, but there's no scope of that limitation mentioned. Same on the purchasing page. The only reason I know it's 1 year is because of the link you provided to the forum post about it... that is not a good way to do business. You have to tell people what they're buying or it just comes across a shady.

First and foremost, I'm happy to pay for good software and I will most likely pay for this because HWinfo has been awesome and I like supporting devs...

However, I love how you just assume that we all hang out on the forums. Never wanted to come here, never should've had to come here. And the "first read then write" remark is condescending and completely uncalled for especially when you consider the fact it's your fault we're even here looking for this info in the first place.

It's kinda bullshit that you push a major change like that without making the change apparent in the app itself. Yes, I'm aware of the tooltip, but as madpco pointed out I just thought it was a bug at first and I came on here looking to see if anyone else was getting it, once I realized what it was I went looking for the info in the app and found the tooltip.

If you're going to remove functionality and lock it behind a paywall you would do well to let the user know, big and bold when they're installing the new version.
and before I get the inevitable "just roll back if you don't like it" that's not the point. I had to come to a forum because I thought it was a bug. Free features are now paid features, I think that should be something no one can mistake as a bug, or you've failed.

speaking of not being upfront, looking at the license page nowhere does it say how long the license lasts. sure you have the clause about a maintenance period and the license being limited, but there's no scope of that limitation mentioned. Same on the purchasing page. The only reason I know it's 1 year is because of the link you provided to the forum post about it... that is not a good way to do business. You have to tell people what they're buying or it just comes across a shady.

Information about license change is shown in bold on the initial welcome screen with a hyperlink that when clicked leads you to the license information page where everything is described in detail. The same on the about page:

1618900106387.png

I cannot deliver a personal letter to every user or show a popup to everyone running HWiNFO. That would result in another thousand hate posts about annoying behavior and forcing users to something.

I also believe that the information about license duration and maintenance period is well described on the main license page - the one that every user visits before going to the purchase page (IF):
1618900270295.png

I would imagine on a fresh install people would see the splash screen, but as an upgrade, with that disabled, you don't. Even so, there's nothing in that image that says "hey we're pay walling previously free options, click this link to find out more". If you think that splash screen is adequate then that is a good indication of the problem right there.

Also on the upgrade dialog box, no indication of licensing changes, just a see what's new button that goes here: https://www.hwinfo.com/version-history/ and that page says nothing about it either.

need I go on? I mean if you don't get it by now then I feel like I'm just talking to a wall, and that's unfortunate.

as for your licensing page, your "buy now" button is above that image. People can and will go to the purchase page (which makes no mention of it) without ever seeing that image. The first image on that page tells people what they need to know, here are the licenses, compared to free, and here's the buy button.

You're doing something you know people aren't gonna be ok, it's gonna be controversial. You need to be as upfront and transparent as you can. Above and beyond, no chance for misunderstanding, no chance for surprises or you just get resentful users.

Also on the upgrade dialog box, no indication of licensing changes, just a see what's new button that goes here: https://www.hwinfo.com/version-history/ and that page says nothing about it either.

This was in v7.0 release history when it came out (now it was pushed back by 7.02):
1618905830885.png

And here too: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/hwinfo-v7-00-released.7130/
In announcements as well with a big yellow mark sticky on top: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/important-changes-to-hwinfo64-coming-soon.7092/

Yet, still not enough for some.

yup, talking to a wall.

well best of luck to you, you're gonna need it. Just remember the next time you're having this same conversation, because you're gonna have quite a few I'm sure, that you could've done something to prevent it.

Haha wow, I found this thread on google and registered just to let you know that screwyluie raised great points that you kept passing off.

This is a great piece of software but eff us for not reading through a big wall of text for your update information outside of the interface I guess.
I was on board with upgrading to pro at the beginning of the thread but after the way you talked down to your userbase here I think I'll make do with your free version unless more features get removed in the future from the free one. (In which case don't expect me to upgrade.)

The thing is that it's impossible to satisfy everyone and this is something I'm learning every day, for almost any feature I introduce. I think "hey this would be a great new feat", implement it, many love it, but there will always be some hating it and wanting a way to remove it. Similar with big some bold announcements - I'm sure those would be considered by many users are annoying, or a way to force them to upgrade to Pro, or anything else I can't think of right now...
When HWiNFO was full freeware, I was getting e-mails like "Hey, tell us what nasty tricks are you doing in the backyard when you give this out for free! This is impossible to keep free, so you must be selling our personal or HW data, or whatever else" :D

Last edited:
It seems like there are many people raising the issue. Here let me put it easily. The limitation that was put on a timer and acts LIKE A BUG should be clearly indicated on the setting page it affects:
kwinfobug.JPG
It seems elementary to me and few others and it and would have probably avoided this thread altogether. Every thing you typed here just ignores the problem and displays a closed attitude.

I raised the issue of critical info missing on the setting page and you reply to go read the forums. Along with Micronius, that makes 2 confirmed lost sales for you.

That's beautiful.
Sorry about my comment, I've been following through E-mail and haven't check out your latest release. That will do the job for sure.

You make very nice work Martin. Thanks again.

The tooltip is already in the last release, but the additional text in window isn't yet.

ok where is the shared memory usage button?!?!?
I mean this is some pretty messed up crap here...
I get asked if I want to upgrade tonight and have now spent 2 hours trying to figure out WTH happened to HWINFO.
Not happy guys. Not happy at all.
1624162510871.png

It's in the main settings. If you're running in Sensors-only mode, right-click the HWiNFO tray icon to get there.

i get all the hooplah and arguing back and forth about how crummy it is that some folks didn't read the forums, and how pissy you forum golems get.... but i'd also like to point out, that while you are right... and definitely have the moral high ground - the world doesn't work the way you dream it does, and you're going to live a pretty stressed out life if you keep dreaming that we read first then write.

Google lead me here, good job dev.
I will happy to support pro version, but this take me more time than it need to figure out whats wrong, and need to find where is the check box too.

Back