Tray icon tooltip titles missing

joiwind

HWiNFO32 5.30 2880   -  winXP sp3

Hi, the titles of the tooltips that appear over the tray icons are missing (and this since a previous version) - so as I have 6 icons showing I'm often confused about which is which.

I realise this question may have been treated before but I couldn't find any reference to it.

Any ideas ?

I have checked and see them properly. You don't see any tooltips for tray icons ? Can you please make a screenshot ?

[attachment=1932]
Thanks for your reply, here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 04_06_2016 , 23_18_59_cr.png
    Screenshot - 04_06_2016 , 23_18_59_cr.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 3
Does that value have a proper name in the sensors window ?
You might try to "Reset preferences" to see if that helps.

Is it the same for all tray icons?
Do you see the sensor name of those icons in the sensors window?

It's the same for all tray icons and no, no sensor name of those icons in the sensors window as seen in the screenshot below.

Also when I go to Rename in the right-click menu on one of the sensors I get the result in the other screenshot where Current name is blank. If I add a new name it doesn't stick and if I go back to the Original name, that doesn't stick either ...

Attachments

• sensor_status.png
    sensor_status.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 2
  • rename_sensor.png
    rename_sensor.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 2
That explains why you don't see the titles in tray.
Have you really done a "Reset Preferences", closed and started HWiNFO again?

Yes, I have done a "Reset Preferences", closed and started HWiNFO again but still the same - should I shut down the HWiNFO service beforehand ?

That's odd. After resetting preferences all should be back to default, so the tray icons should not appear automatically until configured again. Does that happen? If not, it means there's some problem with storing/accessing preferences that also messes up all the custom settings like sensor titles.
HWiNFO doesn't have a service, what service is there running ?

Infact, it's not a service, it's a kernel driver : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\HWiNFO32.SYS and so can't be stopped anyway.

I've done a clean uninstall/install but with still the same result so I guess you're right : there's some problem with storing/accessing preferences that also messes up all the custom settings like sensor titles. I'll get back later after perhaps doing an uninstall/install in safe mode.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Driver is OK, that has no influence on those settings.
Are you perhaps using some antivirus that might be blocking HWiNFO ?
You might try the following:
1. Close HWiNFO
2. Run "regedit" from command line (Win+R)
3. Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\HWiNFO32
4. Delete the entire key

Great, I'm happy that it's OK now.
Though still interesting why HWiNFO couldn't do the same via "Reset Preferences". Something might be blocking it.

Non-portable preferences are stored in the registry. So all settings you apply to sensors and some others that are specific to the local machine tested.
Setting in the main "Settings" box are stored in the INI file as these are deemed portable.

Back