HWInfo Not Starting on Startup

Ive had that issue as well,
The solution for me was go to Task Scheduler - Edit the HWiNFO task, go to Actions and Edit the "Start a program".
Old was set to start HWINFO64.exe, i changed that to the HWiNFO64Launcher.exe and that has been working for 3 days now.

im running HWiNFO Version : 7.73-5390
HWiNFO Plugin Version : 2.0.5
and Steam Deck Software Version : 6.5.2 (19936)

The solution for me was go to Task Scheduler - Edit the HWiNFO task, go to Actions and Edit the "Start a program".
Old was set to start HWINFO64.exe, i changed that to the HWiNFO64Launcher.exe and that has been working for 3 days now.

This modification should be done now automatically with the latest Beta builds.

I just tried that and it worked (well at least once but we shall see how that goes)
thanks

Thanks. This worked for me. Autostart would not work when I upgraded from v7.72 to v8.0.0 on windows 11 22h2.

I used to have a shortcut that starts HWiNFO via task scheduler to avoid confirming elevated privileges each time. This used to work before version 8.0 but does not work now. Note that I don't want HWiNFO to auto start at user logon, I just want to have a shortcut for manual start. Is there a way to fix this?

From version 8.00 there are certain criteria that need to be met for proper automatic start. HWiNFO64.EXE cannot be started directly by Task Scheduler but needs an intermediate launcher.
This is automatically done when you enable the "Auto Start" option in main settings of HWiNFO. This will take care of everything - deploy the intermediate (tiny) launcher "HWiNFO64Launcher.exe" and create a dedicated task in Windows Task Scheduler pointing to the launcher.
For those who had "Auto Start" enabled in earlier versions, HWiNFO64 v8.00 should now automatically adjust the existing task.

Last edited:
From version 8.00 there are certain criteria that need to be met for proper automatic start. HWiNFO64.EXE cannot be started directly by Task Scheduler but needs an intermediate launcher.
This is automatically done when you enable the "Auto Start" option in main settings of HWiNFO. This will take care of everything - deploy the intermediate (tiny) launcher "HWiNFO64Launcher.exe" and create a dedicated task in Windows Task Scheduler pointing to the launcher.
For those who had "Auto Start" enabled in earlier versions, HWiNFO64 v8.00 should now automatically adjust the existing task.
Is it possible to start version 8.0 via task scheduler without ticking Auto Start option?

Sadly, same issue for me. HWinfo no longer starts since v8 install. I have reinstalled v8, and redownloaded it and reinstalled. No entry in Startup.
Reinstalled as Admin. Auto Start Unticked, Saved, reopened, Auto Start Ticked, Saved. No Startup entry. Reboot PC, Untick Auto Start and retick, no Startup entry.
Love HWinfo on my gaming PC, hope I can use it again soon =]

Sadly, same issue for me. HWinfo no longer starts since v8 install. I have reinstalled v8, and redownloaded it and reinstalled. No entry in Startup.
Reinstalled as Admin. Auto Start Unticked, Saved, reopened, Auto Start Ticked, Saved. No Startup entry. Reboot PC, Untick Auto Start and retick, no Startup entry.
Love HWinfo on my gaming PC, hope I can use it again soon =]
Enable "Auto Start", then go into Windows Task Scheduler and check if you see a HWiNFO task there. If yes, try to run it manually if HWiNFO will start.
It would also be useful if you could export the task into xml and attach it here.

This didn't happen automatically for me when I upgraded to v8.00. I had to disable and then reenable "Auto Start", as suggested in an earlier post. That fixed it.

If anyone has this problem, please export the HWiNFO task in Task Scheduler into xml and attach it here. I need to check the details why it happens.

If anyone has this problem, please export the HWiNFO task in Task Scheduler into xml and attach it here. I need to check the details why it happens.
I don't think I can get the XML of the old task. But one observation, if it helps: the Task Manager history shows "Task registration deleted", "Task registered" and "Task registration updated" events at the time when I disabled and reenabled "Auto Start".

There are no events like that from the time when I installed v8.00. I think it just left the old task (with HWiNFO64.exe) unchanged.

Hey, i had this problem. Found this thread. Attached the old xml and the new xml from schedule export (after re-enabling auto start in the app)

Attachments

• HWiNFO_schedule-old_vs_new.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 4
Hey, i had this problem. Found this thread. Attached the old xml and the new xml from schedule export (after re-enabling auto start in the app)

Thanks! That helped me to determine why the Auto Start task update wasn't working automatically for some users.
For this case there should be an easy solution - disable "Auto Start", then enable it.

Back