HWInfo Not Starting on Startup

Guys I think I know the culprit. After the update 8.00-5400, HWiNFO task's action (inside Task Scheduler) point to the program without the double quotation marks ("") surrounded. Therefore, the Task Scheduler interprete its location as "C:\Program" with argument "Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64Launcher.exe". The fix is simply adding the double quotation marks around, so its original location C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64Launcher.exe (no quotation marks) becomes "C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64Launcher.exe" (with quotation marks). You may also check the "Start in (optional)" box and make sure it looks like C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\ (without quotation marks). Voila, it's working again.

Attachments

• HWInfo_fix.png
    HWInfo_fix.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
Guys I think I know the culprit. After the update 8.00-5400, HWiNFO task's action (inside Task Scheduler) point to the program without the double quotation marks ("") surrounded. Therefore, the Task Scheduler interprete its location as "C:\Program" with argument "Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64Launcher.exe". The fix is simply adding the double quotation marks around, so its original location C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64Launcher.exe (no quotation marks) becomes "C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\HWiNFO64Launcher.exe" (with quotation marks). You may also check the "Start in (optional)" box and make sure it looks like C:\Program Files\HWiNFO64\ (without quotation marks). Voila, it's working again.

This should work without the quotes as well, at least it does for most users. Which Windows version do you have? maybe there's a difference..

This should work without the quotes as well, at least it does for most users. Which Windows version do you have? maybe there's a difference..
I'm currently on Windows 11. The way I found out this was looking at the original path without quotes and press apply/OK but Windows pops up a dialog and ask as below. Maybe in other versions Windows doesn't ask this, but instead doing things implicitly? I think adding the quotes is worth a try. Then we could potentially narrow the scope down.

Attachments

• HWiNFO_dialog.png
    HWiNFO_dialog.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the file, it's helpful. Could you please also attach another one after you fixed the username?
I'm also wondering how did you run HWiNFO when you re-enabled Auto Start as normally the current username credentials should be used for the task.
What is the current user you're running HWiNFO under, is it an Administrator or are you perhaps in a Domain?
Hi Martin.

I attached the exported task after the change for you (HWiNFO.txt). I just ran the task manually from the task scheduler to confirm that it worked. It has survived a few starts/restarts.

I also tried adding double quotes as Nagidrop suggested after I disabled/enabled autostart to remove/add the task but I got the same error when I tried to save it as I did with my previous post.

I'm running HWiNFO under my user. I'm the only user on this rig. I tested it by adding adminstrators and that worked as well.

While I was typing this I decided to try "Users" and that worked as well. That's probably how I'll leave it. I exported that xml as well. It's the HWiNFO-Users.txt file.

I hope that this helps.

Attachments

• HWiNFO.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
  • HWiNFO-Users.txt
    3 KB · Views: 1
To all still having issues with Auto Start, please try to update to latest v8.01-5410 Beta and let me know if it's OK now.

To all still having issues with Auto Start, please try to update to latest v8.01-5410 Beta and let me know if it's OK now.
i came from 7.4.0 worked perfectly always. Updated to 8.0.0, no startup anymore..
searched , and tried different things, still no succes.

I couldn't update to the beta version, i was no Pro user,
even adding the " marks in the taskmanager had no succes.
So i bought myself a license just now, so i could update to that beta version automaticly.. and for me, restarting.. it works :)
i use the HWinfo for Rainmeter

Hello Martin- I too was affected this week (or perhaps last) by the changes to auto-start. I previously used the command line options (from here) along with a task (I cannot recall if it was created by the program, or if I had created it from scratch).
  • the task that HWiNFO creates is for a launcher EXE, which does not seem to accept any command line options
  • the EXE seems to be created/deleted in the install directory based on the auto-start checkbox in HWiNFO
  • if you disable auto-start but try to create a task manually, it seems that even with "highest privileges" the task fails with an elevation error- perhaps something changed with Windows? (I am on Windows 10 Professional, 22H2)
I just installed the newest beta (v8.01-5410) and the same applies. I was using the command line options to start logging automatically, and would like to know if it's possible to pass the options from the launcher to HWiNFO64.exe?

Hello Martin- I too was affected this week (or perhaps last) by the changes to auto-start. I previously used the command line options (from here) along with a task (I cannot recall if it was created by the program, or if I had created it from scratch).
  • the task that HWiNFO creates is for a launcher EXE, which does not seem to accept any command line options
  • the EXE seems to be created/deleted in the install directory based on the auto-start checkbox in HWiNFO
  • if you disable auto-start but try to create a task manually, it seems that even with "highest privileges" the task fails with an elevation error- perhaps something changed with Windows? (I am on Windows 10 Professional, 22H2)
I just installed the newest beta (v8.01-5410) and the same applies. I was using the command line options to start logging automatically, and would like to know if it's possible to pass the options from the launcher to HWiNFO64.exe?
This is currently not supported by the launcher.
But if you need to use command-line parameters for Auto Start (wondering why?) I think you could replace the launcher with your custom batch file (.bat). That should work as the batch file will execute HWiNFO64 using an acceptable method.

This is currently not supported by the launcher.
But if you need to use command-line parameters for Auto Start (wondering why?) I think you could replace the launcher with your custom batch file (.bat). That should work as the batch file will execute HWiNFO64 using an acceptable method.
I pass in the -l flag to automatically log a CSV. I did not write a wrapper BAT but instead used the properties on the EXE to run as administrator which in combination with the “highest privileges” setting on the task seemed to work. I do not recall having to do this before which leads me to suspect an underlying Windows change.

I have been having this problem too, Win11; V8 HWiNFO.
Just found a solution that works for me.
In the Task Scheduler task, "Configure for" was set to "Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008", switching this to "Windows 10" made the task function
1712909621124.png

Back