Monitor CPU and GPU fan RPM on Clevo laptops

Hi Martin, thanks for all the hard work you put into this :)

I was wondering if you could please add fan monitoring for the Clevo P650RE series?  
It's also branded by Metabox, and in the BIOS it's "Notebook P65_P67RGRERA" so I think that means its the same for the P650RE, P650RA, P650RG, P670RE, P670RA, and P670RG
If I'm not wrong, the P651xx series is the exact same with just a different exterior on the laptop.

The offsets from RW are:

• 07: CPU Temperature (I can't find an offset that changes for GPU temperature, I'll keep digging)
  • D0,D1: CPU Fan (Using the same 32768*60/N as others have stated)
  • D2,D3: GPU Fan 1
  • D4,D5: GPU Fan 2
I'm sifting through the DSDT dumps to try to find the relevant manual toggles for fan control, I'll let you know if I find anything because they might correlate with other laptops as well.
All I know so far is that toggling max fan speed with Fn+1 changes 0xCC to F3, and toggling it back of sets it to F2. Unfortunately 0xCC seems to display the most recent hardware change (i.e. caps lock, num lock, airplane mode, keyboard backlight all change the value, overriding the previous one) so it's probably not that useful

Right now the Clevo Control Center GPU OC tool lets you manually control a positive fan speed offset, so fingers crossed it leads somewhere :)

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Metabox-P650RE.HTM
    95.7 KB · Views: 3
sm2596 said:
Hi Martin, thanks for all the hard work you put into this :)

I was wondering if you could please add fan monitoring for the Clevo P650RE series?  
It's also branded by Metabox, and in the BIOS it's "Notebook P65_P67RGRERA" so I think that means its the same for the P650RE, P650RA, P650RG, P670RE, P670RA, and P670RG
If I'm not wrong, the P651xx series is the exact same with just a different exterior on the laptop.

The offsets from RW are:

• 07: CPU Temperature (I can't find an offset that changes for GPU temperature, I'll keep digging)
  • D0,D1: CPU Fan (Using the same 32768*60/N as others have stated)
  • D2,D3: GPU Fan 1
  • D4,D5: GPU Fan 2
I'm sifting through the DSDT dumps to try to find the relevant manual toggles for fan control, I'll let you know if I find anything because they might correlate with other laptops as well.
All I know so far is that toggling max fan speed with Fn+1 changes 0xCC to F3, and toggling it back of sets it to F2. Unfortunately 0xCC seems to display the most recent hardware change (i.e. caps lock, num lock, airplane mode, keyboard backlight all change the value, overriding the previous one) so it's probably not that useful

Right now the Clevo Control Center GPU OC tool lets you manually control a positive fan speed offset, so fingers crossed it leads somewhere :)

Thanks again!

This model should already have support for fan monitoring in HWiNFO. Is this not working at all, or just some information is missing ? Is the Clevo EC sensor shown in HWiNFO ?

Martin said:
This model should already have support for fan monitoring in HWiNFO. Is this not working at all, or just some information is missing ? Is the Clevo EC sensor shown in HWiNFO ?

Oh damn, I just had to right click it and enable monitoring -.- Sorry!

As an aside, I've located the offsets for semi-manual control of fan speeds (they're tied to a temperature curve rather than direct RPM modulation). I'll tinker a bit and post my findings soon, there are two non-linear variables that are throwing me off that I'd like to map out first.

I've been able to get some more information from the EC and the good news is I've found the remaining fan control offsets, and the fan speed can be adjusted - not completely, but I've derived some equations that allow you to reach a target idle or max RPM with reasonable accuracy based on a modifier byte at 0xE7.

Unfortunately even though there is a writable region that lets you input custom start temperature, stop temperature and max fan speeds, changing these doesn't actually do anything.

I've put the information I have into an excel workbook, and there's more information over on the NotebookReview Forums post for anyone who's interested  :) 

It does need macros enabled for two of the equations that use the Goal Seek function, and it's also got a 'test' EC so that you can double check any changes before you write them to the real EC.

Is it possible if you can add support for EUROCOM Sky X4E2? It is using Clevo P750DM2-G chassis.

I've attached reports and rweverything EC Dump

Attachments

• P750DM2-G EUROCOM Sky X4E2.HTM
    204 KB · Views: 5
  • P750DM2-G EUROCOM Sky X4E2.zip
    22.3 KB · Views: 3
Yes, it should have support of that model. If not, please attach a new HWiNFO Debug File made using that version.

Hope this helps with the conversation. Did not see the info for fans on the p650 boards
I have a p650hs-g with the discrete graphics enabled by default. I know there are three fans on board. 
Here are the files I created to hopefully get the fans info in the next build. Hoping to eventually read/learn how to get them to the rain-meter plugin. Other default sensors are working in rain-meter. :)

Edit#1
@martin thank you for the update and the recommendation. I have been waiting for a VM to install and then will dump the EC and update this post.
Edit#2
zipped and included

Attachments

• WATERWHEEL.HTM
    151.1 KB · Views: 3
  • HWiNFO64.DBG
    722.5 KB · Views: 1
  • EC6662.zip
    789 bytes · Views: 1
earnack said:
Hope this helps with the conversation. Did not see the info for fans on the p650 boards
I have a p650hs-g with the discrete graphics enabled by default. I know there are three fans on board. 
Here are the files I created to hopefully get the fans info in the next build. Hoping to eventually read/learn how to get them to the rain-meter plugin. Other default sensors are working in rain-meter. :)

Please also attach the EC dump from the RW Everything tool as described in this thread.

Martin said:
earnack said:

Please also attach the EC dump from the RW Everything tool as described in this thread.

Updated post. Qualifications met? :)

Hello, I'm using a PowerSpec 1710, which is a rebranded version of the Clevo PA70HS-G. The other sibling of it is the PA71HS-G, in which the difference is the black vent instead of red vent on my 70HS-G. (You can click on the link to Clevo website to see what I'm talking about)

So I guess adding support for my model will help others who are having the 71HS-G.

What do I have to do in order to help you with this, Martin?

mtuan293 said:

I will need the HWiNFO Report File and EC dump made using RW-Everything as described in this thread.

Martin said:
mtuan293 said:

I will need the HWiNFO Report File and EC dump made using RW-Everything as described in this thread.

Wow didn't expect you reply that fast. It's kinda late now  :D 

Here they are
Oh, the EC dump I took when the fans were off, is that OK?

Attachments

• PA70HS-G_EC6662.zip
    813 bytes · Views: 2
  • PA70HS-G.HTM
    142.9 KB · Views: 1
Here it's just morning :)
It need the fans to be spinning when creating the EC dump, can you make such? Also how many fans are there?

Martin said:
Here it's just morning :)
It need the fans to be spinning when creating the EC dump, can you make such? Also how many fans are there?

There are 3 fans total, 1 for the CPU and 2 others for the GPU.
Fn + 1 to crank the speed to maximum.
Here's the EC dump when I did that.

Attachments

• [Max fan speed] PA70HS-G_EC6662.zip
    830 bytes · Views: 2
Martin said:
Thanks. That model will be supported from the next build.

Thank you. Can't wait to see RPM on my laptop. It seems that laptop fan speed is not widely supported compared to desktop's. So I assume there must be some differences between manufacturers' EC? How about desktop motherboards, are they all the same?

Oh, will the next build be 5.73-3350?

Back