Monitor CPU and GPU fan RPM on Clevo laptops

arg8

It would be most useful if HWinfo could monitor the fan RPM of Clevo laptops.

As it stands, properly assessing and comparing the cooling performance of various setups with respect to benchmark performance, temperatures and fan noise levels are very misleading as users can't report the fan RPM. It would be a very useful feature in HWinfo to include the ability to monitor and plot/log the fan rpm values for the CPU fan and GPU fan.

I can't find any utility that can read the fan speed directly for Clevo laptops. With this feature, maybe this would be the only utility able to monitor fan RPM on Clevo laptops?

For example, on a P170HM, the status of the fan RPM data is reported in the Embedded Controller I/O space (EC_SC/EC_DATA=0066/0062) at the following byte offsets:
CPU Fan: D0 D1
GPU Fan: D2 D3

The DxDy is a 16-bit word that reports the tick counts (N_ticks) of the EC clock per fan revolution. The RPM value can be obtained by:
Fan_RPM = (32768 * 60) / N_ticks

Typical values of fan speed readings in these registers:

CPU Fan: 00 00 ==> 0 RPM
03 20 ==> 2457 RPM
01 FA ==> 3885 RPM

GPU Fan: 00 00 ==> 0 RPM
03 52 ==> 2313 RPM
02 1E ==> 3627 RPM

Cheers!

Thanks for the information. I'll gladly add support of fan speed monitoring in such case (when I know how to read it).
I'll bound this to the particular Clevo model P170HM, no others so far. Are there any other models where this method can be used too ?
Also, please attach a HWiNFO report file, so I can use the identification data to base this support on.
Also, in the past I saw that on certain Clevo models, there have been temperatures stored at offsets 0x0A/0x0B and 0x0C/0x0D in Kelvins. Is this the same on this model ?

Indeed, the CPU temperature can be read as [0x0B][0x0A] in kelvins.

If [0x0D][0x0C] contains a temperatrue value, it has always remained constant at [0x0C][0x3C] (40.05°C). I've never seen this value change, so I'm not sure what it may be linked to.

All temperatures seem to be properly reported by HWinfo64 on this system.

Thanks!

Attachments

• HWinfo_brief.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 14
I tried the build 401_1685:
- I don't see a "CPU fan" anywhere in the sensors
- As before, I see "GPU fan" under "nVidia GPU[#0] nVidia GeForce GTX 580M (GF114M)", which still indicates 100% for Current/Min/Max and never changes.

Under which sensors sub-sections are "CPU fan" and "GPU fan" expected to be displayed in the case of P170HM?

Concerning other models, I can't comment. But I wouldn't be surprised if the all P1xxxM, NP8xxx and NP9xxx have similar EC memory IO mappings w.r.t. CPU and GPU fans #1.

You should see a new "Clevo EC" sensor.
If you don't see it, please attach a COMPLETE report file including sensor data (the previous one was not sufficient).
Also, a HWiNFO Debug File might be required as well.

Actually, this works on stock Clevo.

The CPU and GPU fans are indeed under "Clevo EC", as well as a temperature reading.

The CPU load increases to 5% when enabling Clevo EC monitoring at 1000ms intervals. But it seems to work just fine.

Cheers!

Attachments

• HWinfo64_fan_graphs.png
    HWinfo64_fan_graphs.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 30
Yep, the reading from an EC sensor can cause such lags. That's also the reason why HWiNFO displays the warning when such sensor is found.
Do you have any other non-stock Clevo models that work the same? I'll add them, but need the SMBIOS DMI information from these machines.
Also if you find any other Clevo models where this can be applied, just let me know...

Martin said:
Do you have any other non-stock Clevo models that work the same? I'll add them, but need the SMBIOS DMI information from these machines.
Also if you find any other Clevo models where this can be applied, just let me know...

Will the feature work if models are called "P170HMx", "P170EMx", "P150HMx" and "P150EMx"? (Assuming the EC maps are the same, which I don't know unless someone else tests it) If not, is it possible to include these models numbers so users can test? (maybe also "P170EM3" and "P170HM3")

This method will be applied (in the current build) if the vendor is "Clevo" and the model contains one of these strings:
"P150EM", "P151EM", "P170HM", "P170EM", "P180HM". So they can contain any prefix or suffix.
Please let me know the results. If there is anything that needs to be adjusted, just let me know...

Martin said:
This method will be applied (in the current build) if the vendor is "Clevo" and the model contains one of these strings:
"P150EM", "P151EM", "P170HM", "P170EM", "P180HM". So they can contain any prefix or suffix.
Please let me know the results. If there is anything that needs to be adjusted, just let me know...

Another year... another line up :D

I've had my GTX780m beast P150SM for about a week now :cool:

It would be pretty cool if you could add the SM type 's

P150SM, P157SM, P151SM1, P170SM, P177SM

Hat's off, this is an incredible scale for a project :)

*** quick edit.....

The as above may contain a suffix (down to the retailer, if more than 100 units are ordered they can have customized cases to order (I think its just like a badge on the cover, XMG do this with their clevo's, and these come with a suffix)

OK, I'll add those models too. Are you sure the fan speed method is the same as before?

Martin said:
OK, I'll add those models too. Are you sure the fan speed method is the same as before?

Errrrrr no, it's just the same laptop, same chassis but this years model (HM was intel 6 series, EM was 7, and the SM is 8 on Haswell).

If you've got a beta you want me to test on my SM let me know

I might have fed you some bum info!

They have changed the naming convention, so mine is show as P15SM (presumably this is as they introduced the P157SM variant... so P15SM covers both.... report on its way via PM

Attachments

• GTX-PC.HTM
    162.5 KB · Views: 8
I see the new Clevo SM range in now working, great stuff - really interesting my fans rarely get above 60% even when hardcore gaming with an OC'd CPU & GPU which is nice, I can toggle the fans to full speed and run sub 60°C on the GTX780m even when OC'd :cool:

Only hang up seems to be that HWInfo has stopped reading the 780m now? :huh:

Do you maybe mean that it doesn't monitor the GPU when it's turned off by nVidia Optimus?
This is intentional to save power consumption - when the GPU is off, HWiNFO doesn't touch it unless another application wakes it up. So it doesn't interfer with the system. Any attempt to monitor the GPU in off state would turn it on and keep it powered, so that would reduce battery life and raise power consumption.

Martin said:
Do you maybe mean that it doesn't monitor the GPU when it's turned off by nVidia Optimus?
This is intentional to save power consumption - when the GPU is off, HWiNFO doesn't touch it unless another application wakes it up. So it doesn't interfer with the system. Any attempt to monitor the GPU in off state would turn it on and keep it powered, so that would reduce battery life and raise power consumption.

This was my initial thought so I loaded a game windowed and then restarted HWInfo and I could see the game running in the background and my dGPU light was illuminated indicating the Nvidia card was active but under the nvidia gpu line there were no sensors (just the same as when the HD4600 active)

Calibre41 said:
Martin said:

This was my initial thought so I loaded a game windowed and then restarted HWInfo and I could see the game running in the background and my dGPU light was illuminated indicating the Nvidia card was active but under the nvidia gpu line there were no sensors (just the same as when the HD4600 active)

Beta 1945 doesn't work either

release version 1930 does work

This needs to be checked, because it should work.
Please attach 2 debug files created when:
1. Start HWiNFO when dGPU is off, open sensors and launch an application which enables dGPU. Do you see dGPU information? Then please close HWiNFO and get the DBG file.
2. Start an application using the dGPU and make sure it's enabled. Launch HWiNFO and perform the same procedure as above.
Also, please attach a screenshot of the entire sensors screen (showing all values displayed) when the dGPU is active and you don't see its values in HWiNFO.

Back