Monitor CPU and GPU fan RPM on Clevo laptops

Thanks, I could monitor the fan speeds now, also wrote the manufacturer as it seems the fans just rev up to 3900 rpm and then back down every few minutes for no apparent reason.

I have my own Clevo W350ETQ and I faced same problems as you guys and I want tto thank you for the awesome work. To the business.

lfodor said:
Thanks, I could monitor the fan speeds now, also wrote the manufacturer as it seems the fans just rev up to 3900 rpm and then back down every few minutes for no apparent reason.

Concerning cpu fan, there are only 3 levels of fan's speed
  • 0 RPM
  • 1300-1350 RPM
  • 3200 RPM (although max speed of the fan is 3900 RPM)
The most important issue for me is that sometimes fan begins spinning on when it is too late and laptop just goes to sleep/shuts down. Computer just chooses to turn of the fan completely. It's happening around 78-82 degrees. Is there any method to change fan's behavior so that speed would be increased every, let's say, 5 degrees? For example:
  • 46-50 degrees - 1300 RPM
  • 51-55 degrees - 1800 RPM
  • 56-60 degrees - 2200 RPM
  • 61-65 degrees - 2600 RPM
  • 66-70 degrees - 3000 RPM
  • 71-75 degrees - 3900 RPM

There is a way to force the fan to operate with full speed (FN+1), but it shouldn't be necessary to help your laptop to cool down :(
I know that HWiNFO is only for reading values of sensors, but I am only asking if there is a way? Maybe writing custom fan driver?

I'm including summary of my configuration

Attachments

• WOLFIK-PC.HTM
    155.9 KB · Views: 4
Martin said:
If I would know how do set fan speed there, I would try to implement that...

I know it's hard and probably there is no manufacturer that will let anyone change these settings. The only thing I managed to find are:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa394493
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394146(v=vs.85).aspx

But you probably know this.

PS. I got a screenshot of the situation I mentioned above.
The peak of Fan speed was forced by me (FN+1)

BGn6Lit.png

Hallo,

I have HWiNFO64 version 4.33-2115 and hwinfo shows me Motherboard Model: Clevo P15SM. But I can't see any Clevo item in my sensors. Do I have to activate something?

HWInfo shows me Computer Barnd Name: ECT, is this the Problem? This is a german manufactor which uses Clevo.

Yes, the different branding might be the reason why HWiNFO doesn't recognize this.
Please attach a HWiNFO Report File, so I can check that in detail and update accordingly.

Thanks, I'll update this in the next HWiNFO build released, so you will see the fan speed.

I have a Clevo M760TUN. As with this, it only has one fan cooling both the CPU and GPU.
The fan support in ACPI is very poor, so I turned to RWEverything, and found this thread...
My system fits in well with what has already been mentioned. My guess is that all Clevo laptops use a very similar (and basic...) BIOS, or at least EC program.
D0/D1 is presumably fan speed, it changes often.
D2/D3 is 00/00
0A/0B is temperature (TMP) in 10ths Kelvin
Other temperatures:
04/05 is AC0 (~fan speed high)
06/07 is PSV (~throttle processor)
08/09 is CRT (~overheat shutdown)
0C/0D is AC1 (~fan speed low)

Remember that these are in the EC, rather than ACPI per se. Changing them didn't seem to have any affect. CRT, PSV and TMP are read as-is in their equivalent TZ methods, and there aren't any other temps in the TZ. From an old official ACPI doc: "One of the traps first-time ACPI developers can fall into is to not use all the objects in the \_TZ scope that are required to carry out their thermal policy..." then it gives 10 different things a proper TZ should have, of which my BIOS has 4... I guess things may have changed since then, but it's still poor. There's no fan-related stuff at all either.
CE-D3 (the area with the fan speed) is skipped entirely by the ACPI memory map, so reading that through ACPI wouldn't be easy. Setting FAN0/1 didn't affect the fan, but they didn't seem to reflect the current status either.

Someone else made an attempt at decoding their EC memory map here (but not entirely right, AC in AC1 is Active Cooling rather than Alternating Current, I guess his BIOS/OS changes that when disconnected).
If you want to try deciphering yours (mine was very similar to his, so probably most Clevos use this), I can tell you where to find it.

Thanks for the information. I tried to decode the ACPI space as well including its EC region, but it's a common practice that this region doesn't contain all registers described, only those which are used by ACPI. The fan speed is controlled internally by the EC firmware and there might or might not be a register which allows it to change. But this is completely in the hands of EC proprietary FW designers...

Hi there,
Thanks for all the great work and the best temp monitoring program there is!
Recently I have changed laptop from Clevo P150EM to Clevo P170SM. I used HWinfo64 for all monitoring I have done and it was able to find a "EC Clevo" and show me fans' RPMs. After I switched to P170SM I can see no such sensor. It does not ask me to turn the sensor on as it used to some times on P150EM, it is just not there. Tried to reinstal, tried to reset settings.
Could you look into problem? I attached dbg file.

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    531.3 KB · Views: 2
I'll add your model to the list in the next build released, though I'm not sure if it will work the same as before.

The thing is that P150SM also works correctly and P170SM and P150SM are really the same ones with different screen sizes.

Hi,
I'm new, and the thread is pretty old, but I guess the EC mapping is the same for (probably) all the clevo models.
I have a Clevo P751ZM and the fan speeds are still in D0|00 ~ D0|03.
I do have a Premamod bios installed, could this be the problem that the clevo EC is not shown?

Attached: my .DBG file

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    726.2 KB · Views: 2
The special board type has to be activated by Martin to get this feature in new boards.

But you should be careful. With my Clevo board the EC readout is very instable and so I deactivated it.

The fan speed is one of the things, monitoring is only a nice to have because ears can monitor this very reliable ... ;)

demattin is right - each Clevo model needs to be enabled in HWiNFO by me. I'll do this for your model (P750ZM) now, so fan speed monitoring will be available from the next HWiNFO build.

Hello

there is dump from Clevo W840AU with EC ITE8587

br
harry

Attachments

• HWiNFO64.DBG
    377.6 KB · Views: 2
Martin said:
Thanks, I'll add the W840AU too.

Hello again

I just tested new beta and there no fans and temp displayed incorrect.

br
harry
[attachment=1343]

Attachments

• hwinfo64clevo.jpg
    hwinfo64clevo.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 7
harryzz said:
Martin said:
Thanks, I'll add the W840AU too.

Hello again

I just tested new beta and there no fans and temp displayed incorrect.

br
harry

Well, then I guess this model uses a different method. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to support it.

Back